Spotlight on 2016 Rogers Homecoming Queen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dressed in blue: Senior Anna-Claire Martins represents Rogers High School as the 2016 Homecoming Queen on Sept. 16, 2016. Martins is pictured with senior Phillip Necessary getting officially crowned as Homecoming Queen

Photo by Kaylan Chacon

Photo by Kaylan Chacon

Photo by Kaylan Chacon

Ana Viveros, Staff Writer

The 2016  Homecoming Queen was Anna-Claire Martins.

“My first reaction was oh my goodness I have to tell my parents. I thought they will be really happy for me, and I was really excited. I was kinda nervous I started immediately thinking of dresses and stuff,” Martins said.

Homecoming can be a stressful time. For Martins, it was. However, she did not worry that much about it.

“I was stressed a little bit because it was really short notice this year,” Martins said.

It takes time to prepare for Homecoming. The court was announced two weeks before the event  happened.

The Homecoming Queen wears a royal blue dress while the rest of her court wears white. This is one factor that makes the queen stand out the most. When looking for the dress, Martins was looking for something specific.

“I wanted something classy and simple, but still looks like a wow dress,” Martins said.

Some people might get voted to be on the court and they might not even like Homecoming.

“I love Homecoming. I think it’s kind of a fun idea like celebrating everybody being back. Since it’s my senior year, it’s bittersweet. But I think it’s gonna be fun this year,” Martins said.

As Homecoming Queen, you are usually the main focus of the Homecoming festivities. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

“I’m kinda nervous, but I’m excited to throw candy to kids and stuff. I think that since I’m the queen there’s some attention. I think that people will be looking at the band, the clubs, and the floats also. I don’t think it will be just me, which is awesome,”  Martins said.

Just by being the Homecoming Queen, it can make you a role model or you might already be one.

“I think young kids may think ‘oh I want to be that when I’m in highschool, I want to wear the pretty dress’. There is all this pressure because I want to be classy and about it,”  Martins said.

For Martins, Homecoming was a great way to start her senior year and be able to represent RHS as the Homecoming Queen. Martins had a lot to do prior to the event, but in the end it was all worth it.