Be safe while driving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Be safe while driving

Do not be that driver: A car colliding with a cars behind, and destroying the whole front side of the vehicle. Photo courtesy by transportation.gov

Ana VIveros, Staff Writer

Being by the wheel is a big responsibility. The life of the driver and others are in danger.  Safety comes first. People are required to read the driver’s manual to inform you about the safety procedures that comes to driving, but not all follow the rules.

“Ring Ring” you are driving and you get a text do you answer it? Many people tend to answer a text message or call while driving and do not really think about what could happen in the five seconds they take their eyes off the road.

“Yes I have [texted and driven] because I felt like I had to respond at the moment,” Spanish Teacher Karina Rodriguez said. “I was about to run onto the sidewalk for looking at my phone.”

Drinking and driving is another area which people lack safety and responsibility.

“I think there has to be a better awareness program so the kids could see the consequences of their actions [when it comes to drinking and driving],” Rodriguez said.

Everyone is required to wear a seat belt. Seat belts keep the person in the seat attached and safe from major accidents. If a driver does not have their seat belt on, then the driver is at a greater risk of being hurt in an accident.

“I always wear my seat belt when I am driving,” sophomore Leslie Vasquez said.

Being in a car is a lot of responsibility. One must be willing to accept the risks of driving and be as safe as they can possibly be.