The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Tips for upcoming seniors

Kamryn Lawson, Staff Writer

Recently students at Rogers High School have been registering for the following year of high school. This can be a stressful, yet exciting time in a student’s life. When registering for classes, students should keep college in mind.

Even if students are not going to be seniors, they should still be considering their future after high school. Many classes provided at RHS can prepare students for college. Students should visit their counselor with any questions they may have concerning what they can do to better prepare themselves for college.

Danielle Raubuck, the on campus scholarship coordinator, is an excellent resource to help students prepare for college. There are multiple scholarships that are not strictly for current seniors. Raubuck provides a weekly list of scholarships. Included in these lists are the students eligible as well as the requirements of the scholarship. The best way to prepare for college is to start applying to scholarships now. The more money a student can receive, the better.

Some colleges also provide early enrollment. This means juniors can apply to college now. Not all colleges provide this, so make sure you are watching and keeping track of deadlines. All colleges have priority deadlines for applications and scholarships. This means students that applied before priority deadline will be reviewed and considered above students that applied after priority. Students should try to apply for applications and scholarships before the priority deadline. Application priority deadlines usually fall in September and scholarships fall in November. These months and dates will vary by school.
Ending high school and beginning the college portion of a student’s life can be very exciting. Parents, counselors, and teachers are great resources in helping to prepare you for the upcoming years.