The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Filed under Perspectives

My unforgettable DC experience

Once in a lifetime: Band and orchestra students were given an opportunity to perform in Washington, D.C. While they were there, they got to visit different monuments and were given different tours.

Jasmine Morales

Jasmine Morales

Every four years the Rogers High School band goes to Washington, D.C. for an end of the year trip. Apr.l 5-9, 2017 I was able to go on the big DC trip; this year orchestra also went with us.

We left Apr. 5 around 2 p.m. and spent over 25 hours on the road. The road trip was not that bad. Sitting for that long can be uncomfortable, but we did enjoy the ride. We watched movies and sang along to any song that was featured in the movie. Occasionally we stopped to either change drivers, have a bathroom break, or eat. It felt so good to get off the bus for even five minutes.

When we finally arrived in DC, our first stop was suppose to be Stephen F Udvar-Hazy Center. But because of time, we skipped it and went to the Capitol Building for a tour. While we there, we were given the opportunity to sit inside the House of Representatives.

After the tour, we headed to our hotel and finally got to relax. Sadly, we had to wake up and start our performance day at 5:30.

We first visited Mount Vernon then we departed to the Union Station for orchestra’s performance. While at the Union Station, we saw a flood of red Donald Trump hats. Prior to orchestras performance, people walked by asking what was going on, and when the performance started, people paused to lend an ear to the music.

After orchestra’s performance, we went to the Arlington National Cemetery. It seemed like an endless field of tombs in every direction. We visited the tomb of an unknown soldier. It is guarded 24/7 no matter the weather conditions. Later we headed to the World War 2 Memorial where band had their performance.

It was a really cold day, and with most instruments being metal it was a bit difficult. We were supposed to perform twice, but because of the temperature, we only performed once. After the performance we were given an Illuminated tour where we visited several memorials.

On Apr. 8, our last day, We first went to the White house and got to take pictures, and then form there we walked to the Smithsonian. We spent most of our time at the Smithsonian Museum where we got to walk around different museums with our friends. After hanging out for a few hours, we enjoyed our dinner on the Spirit of Washington Cruise. They had was really good food, and it was a great way to end our trip. Not only did we eat dinner, but we also had a party on the dance floor with the DJ in his booth.

Band has their end of the year trips every year, but I really enjoyed being able to experience so much of D.C. in just a couple of days.