Scheduling the ACT Aspire

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scheduling the ACT Aspire

Freshmen and sophomores started taking the ACT Aspire on Apr. 10, 2017. The rest of the students dealt with a ridiculous schedule that really does not apply to them. Teachers, as well, are victims to a schedule that make it hard for them to plan a day. Fortunately, next week will end this altered schedule.

The Aspire tests classroom knowledge and, according to an announcement by Principal Lewis Villines, results will be used to reward and remediate students.

Everybody dreads testing month because the schedules make no sense. Students are asking teachers about the new schedules wondering how it is supposed to go. Other students do not care.

We see the schedules and our first response is confusion. Monday and Tuesday are testing days-except  the first day of testing already had complications. So, now students who were supposed to test Tuesday had to test Wednesday. This made Tuesday a regular day. Now, that just confused us even more. We just want testing to be over.

We have been practice testing for the ACT Aspire all year long, and it has been a struggle for many of us. Many of us just want a break. April is testing month for students, but we did not think it would be this stressful with the schedules.

The resolution to this whole situation is to have the ACT Aspire on paper, so then we can only test one day per grade. That will help us not become stressed trying to stay up the whole day just for our testing hour to come. It would be beneficial to the school staff as well as the student body.  It will give us more time to work on other lessons teachers have not shown us.

A scheduling nightmare. Image by Ana Viveros

Juniors and seniors do not want to deal with a schedule like this for three weeks.They are going to spend more than an hour in the classroom just because students are testing. It just gets annoying for them.

Teachers have to find lessons they can teach for the whole allotted time. They have to deal with students whining about classes taking forever. Classes that work with computers are going to have to deal with not be able to use them. This schedule interrupts too much.

The resolution to this whole testing situation is to have the ACT Aspire on paper, so we can test one day per grade. This would help us not be stressed, but as well not being tired all day. It would be beneficial to the school staff as well as the student body.  It will give us more time to work on other lessons.

Having it on paper would help all the problems of the Act Aspire. Having it on paper also solves technology issues. We would go on with testing instead of having to stop and call for help to try to figure out issues. Giving the test on paper solves everything.