The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Planning after high school

College is not the only option

Just because you only have a high school diploma, does not mean you have to be unsuccessful. There are several jobs you can look into that will allow you to climb the ladder of success. Image by Amelia Hewins

Amelia Hewins, Staff Writer

As a senior in high school, students are looking for what they want to do beyond the school walls. Some may not even consider the fact that they do not need to go to college. While you can go to a university or a community college, you can also jump straight into your career with a job that only requires a high school education.  

According to CareerBuilder, “U.S. workers with only a high school diploma face an unemployment rate nearly twice that of college educated workers (6.1 to 3.1) and earn significantly less on average.” However here is a look at some of the best paying occupations and the training needed.

Automotive service technicians
Automotive service technicians inspect, maintain and repair automobiles and light trucks using traditional equipment and computerized tools. A postsecondary vocational award; certification from National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) is highly regarded but not needed for this job and the average salary is $37,662.

Carpenters
Carpenters construct, erect, install and repair structures and fixtures made from wood and other materials. Things a carpenter might work on include highways, bridges, and even kitchen cabinets. It only takes about three to four years of both on-the-job training.  The average salary is about $36,889.

Customer service representatives
Serve as the contact for customers of all types of businesses by answering questions and concerns, providing information and addressing complaints,  for $31,685 a year.

The following jobs require a few years of training  post high school education.

Dental assistants
Dental assistants work closely with dentists and perform a variety of duties including instrument sterilization, obtaining records and preparing patients for treatment. Many skills can be  learned on the job, but there are also dental-assisting programs, which often take one year or less to complete. The salary is about $32,246.

Electricians
Install and maintain wiring, fuses, circuits, outlets, load centers, panel boards and electrical machines in homes and businesses. This job requires long-term on-the-job training, often in the form of an apprenticeship program lasting four to five years but it’s worth the average salary of $47,869.

Gaming managers and supervisors
In this job you oversee the operations and personnel in an assigned area of a casino or gaming facility and ensure workers and gamblers are aware of and adhering to the rules of the games. You do not need much education for this job, just related work experience and a license from a regulatory agency. The average salary is $47,429.

If you are not interested in going to college, go check out CareerBuilder to figure out your options.