The student news site of Rogers High School

Retailers closing around the United States

May 1, 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

Out of business: Around the United States of America retailers are closing down their stores for bankruptcy, no profit, leases, and unhappy customers. Image by Ana Viveros.

Well known stores around the United States have been closing at an alarming rate due to various reasons.

More than 50 businesses are being taken off the map this year. Some retailers will close more than 200 of their stores. It is normal for stores to close, but this year started off with more closings since those in 2008. In 2008, according to ZeroHedge, 6,200 stores closed. This year, the closings will surpass that number.

People still do not have an interest in shopping. Going into stores, and buying an item is not in their list of things to do.

“[It is] not really different, because I usually shop online,” sophomore Oswaldo Anguiano said.

Stores that people are most recognize are Radioshack, Sears, Kmart, Rue 21, JCPenney, Abercrombie & Fitch, Wet Seal, and Bebe. These stores, out of a dozen, will be closed by the end of 2017.

According to Clark Radioshack will be closing since customers are not happy with prices. Sears will be closing 42 of their locations. Kmart will be closing 108 of their locations. Profits are not going well for them in certain locations.

Bebe will be closing all 180 stores. They do plan to keep their store online. Stores will be open until the end of May

Rue 21 will be closing 400 stores across the country. They, as well, still plan to be online. Some locations have not been announced yet. Rogers will no longer have a Rue21 at the Pinnacle Mall.

JCpenney will close 138 stores nationwide because sales are not going well. They plan to close by Jul. 31.

Macy’s is closing 68 stores due to too much competition. Abercrombie & Fitch will close as well, because their leases will expire this year in some areas. Wet Seal will close 171 stores due to bankruptcy.

Stores will be closing, and so sales will be going throughout a certain amount of time before the store closes. People see no point in sales when a store is about to close for good in a area.

“All together no because like they are all gonna go in sales, and people won’t have the money,” sophomore Errin Slinkard said.

Rogers has a bit of popularity. There is a good amount of attractions people can do. With stores closing the popularity of Rogers is gonna decrease. Having people travel trying to fill their boredom with fun.