The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Sprinting towards state

Girls on the run! Sophomores Audrey Wilson and Ashlyne Silcott, and Juniors Grace Risenhoover and Skylur Patrick get second place in the 4x4 relay qualifying for state. Photo courtesy Grace Risenhoover.

Amelia Hewins, Staff Writer

On Friday, Apr. 28, Rogers High School participated in track conference. Track conference is the meet that qualifies runners for State. Our conference is all the 7A teams in Northwest Arkansas,. This includes Fayetteville High School, Springdale schools, and Bentonville schools. In order for runners to qualify for state, they must rank at least 6th place in their event. Track teams have trained for this meet since fall.

Everyone has different ways to prepare for track meets. While everyone is encouraged to eat properly, ensuring they get a sufficient amount of proteins and electrolytes, some runners have their own way to prepare.

Junior, Grace Risenhoover won 2nd place in the 400m and in the 4×4 relay.

“Before my team and I run the 4×4, we always stretch out together and warm up by hopping around. Before we all run, we get together and pray,” Risenhoover said.

Another state qualifier, Senior Jake Benninghoff, got first in both high jump and long jump. Benninghoff shares that he not only physically prepares himself, but he mentally prepares throughout the week before.

“I simulate the steps and the jump in my head, going through the motions. Right before my event I always watch my jumps from previous meets to see what I need to fix,” said Benninghoff.

Senior Hannah Lueders won 1st in 100m, 200,m, and 4×1 relay. Lueders has a whole for step routine down to a tee that she goes through just before she settles into the block. She first jumps up and down and shakes out her arms and legs. Second she bends down and stretches out her legs. Next, she gets into the blocks, looks up and takes a deep breath. And finally, she sits as still as possible and waits for them to say set. With a routine so precise

Several girls qualified for state, including seniors Aubrey Gilreath, Elise Randels, and Hannah Lueders, juniors Hannah Martin, Mackenzie Pillstrom, Skylur Patrick, Madison Loyd, Olivia Brazille, Daniella Gomez, Emily Efurd, and Grace Risenhoover, sophomores Amanda Sakalares, Abba Jeffcoat, Ashlyne Silcott, Audrey Wilson and Georgia Brain, freshman Mckayla Slagle and Alexa Wright. Boys who qualified for state were freshman DuVuiry Robinson, Sophomore Clay Workman, Juniors Andrew and Tyler Bender, Seniors Luke Bryant, Jessie Ramirez and Landon McClung

“Track state is really intimidating, but I am look forward to watching the team compete,” Jeffcoat said.