The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Time travel: Is it possible?

Traveling to the future: Gravitational forces in black holes could be the way of traveling through time. Photo courtesy of nasa.gov

Sam Lisowski, Staff writer

Recently, it has been proven that time travel is mathematically possible.

According to express, to be able to achieve time travel, there would need to be a machine able to warp spacetime – the connection between time and physical universe and strong gravitational forces.

“I believe that it is possible, but currently with our technology now it isn’t possible. I’m sure it could happen in the future. Physically we aren’t able to do that now,” sophomore Joanna Calderon said.

The mathematics are proven for the capability to travel through time, but the materials needed to make a machine have not yet been discovered.

Along with the research about mathematics, it is explained in express that in order to time travel someone would have to travel at the speed of light.

“Based on my research, I don’t believe in time travel because people can’t travel faster than the speed of light,” sophomore Georgia Brain said.

Even though it does not seem possible to some people, others believe in conspiracy theories. One such theory is the Mandela effect.

“The Mandela effect is the changing of phrases or events that we’ve known to be true. I believe that it is due to time travelers. This is shown through movie quotes like in Star Wars where the quote was changed from “Luke you are my Father” to “No you are my father” or titles spelling such as “Berenstien Bears” to “Berenstain Bears.” There is no document of someone changing them, but there are documents of before and after,” sophomore Grace Carroll said.

Another conspiracy theory is that Back to the Future predicted 9/11.

“People are continuously going back in time to warn us and keep going back until we pick up on it, and when we do 9/11 will cease to exist,” Carroll said.

Research shows based on recent mathematics, scientific research, and conspiracy theories that traveling through time can be possible.