The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Help is always wanted

Livier Arellano, Staff Writer

Hurricane Harvey is the first hurricane to make landfall in Texas since 2008, and is the strongest in the state since Carla 1961.

Many people lost their homes. Many don’t have a place to go to. Everything is destroyed. Imagine not having a place to stay, a place where you can arrive to and relax. Now imagine not having enough food to eat, your family is struggling, schools are closed, what can you do to help?

There are many websites you can go to that let’s you donate money to the people in Texas. For example the American Red Cross website allows you to donate through mail or phone. If you don’t have money to help, be involved in organizations like the Sheep Dog Impact Assistance; where their mission is to have outdoor adventures, help disaster relief and holiday Assistance. Money isn’t the only thing you can donate people. You are able to send supplies, like food. Anything that will help. Come up with ideas that will benefit those in Texas.  

It is devastating that people are having to go through this, people are losing contact with family, and pets. In a world we live in now, where we have the simple touch of communication in our pockets through wire lines through simple technology, has been gone for the people in the Gulf Coast of the United States. So what now? It’s not like the rest of us are going through the terrible disaster. So why should we care? We as the citizens of the United States should be able to take action and give a small moment of our time and help those who are in need.  

Helping others is not only good for them and a good thing to do, it also makes us happier and healthier too. Giving also connects us to others, making our communities stronger and help build a healthier society for everyone. And it’s not all about money, we can give our time, ideas and energy. Helping the people in Texas will truly show our citizenship, and how the United States (the strongest economy in the world) will not let water ruin our everyday lifestyle.

Feel proud and thankful for what you have, a home you can go to and feel safe. Help others have that great feeling you have after coming home from a long day. Find a unique way to lend a helping hand, donate, send supplies, do something to help.Today is a great day to be a good Mountie, or not. The choice is yours.

1 Comment

One Response to “Help is always wanted”

1. R. Stevens on September 6th, 2017 3:35 pm

I enjoyed your article very much. You write well and keep your reader interested. I look forward to another of your articles.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

5 ways to defend DACA

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Animals and hurricanes

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Understanding monsoons and how to help

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Advisory is wasting school time

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Scheduling the ACT Aspire

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Senior pranks are a joke

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

School work takes over breaks

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Tips for upcoming seniors

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

Giving Africa clean water

• Help is always wanted

Opinion

No PDA in the hallways

Help is always wanted