Mountie Spectrum

The solar eclipse at RHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

The solar eclipse at RHS

Maya Black, Staff Writer

On Aug. 21, 2017 the United States experienced its first total eclipse since 1979. Some students and teachers left for better viewing, but those who stayed did not get to view the eclipse, for fear of counterfeit glasses.

“I went, well, first my brother lives in Omaha, so I went up to visit with him for the weekend, then we went down to south Nebraska. I can’t remember exactly, farm country, small town country, and we actually watched on Highway 75. There was a closed weigh station, so me and many others had pulled off to watch it,”  RHS counselor Kathleen Riggs said.

Riggs is one of the few who left to in order to better view the eclipse.

“We drove up to my uncle’s house in Lowell, and we did have glasses,” freshman Hailey Morris said. “I was a little disappointed, but it was overall cool.”

Unfortunately for those who stayed, due to possibly counterfeit glasses, no one in the Rogers School District was able to watch the eclipse.

“Just look on the NASA website [for acceptable glasses],” Julie Corona, RHS senior said. “They ordered the glasses months in advance, if you’re going to plan you should do it right.”

Many shared her sentiment, saying that the district should have planned better and ensured that students got to participate in this relatively rare astronomical event. The company from which the district ordered their glasses was not on the NASA approved list of definitely not counterfeit glasses companies. Rather than run the risk of them being counterfeit, the district decided that the glasses would not be used to view the eclipse. Unfortunately for the astrophiles out there, the district’s lack of a back up plan meant that the eclipse wouldn’t be viewed at all.

Some, however, felt it was a success even without the glasses. “It was a once in a lifetime event,” said English teacher Robert Turney.

According to NASA’s projections, if you missed this solar eclipse your next chance will be April 8, 2024. 

“While the students enjoyed watching the solar eclipse on the SMART board as it was televised live, I was a little disappointed that the students didn’t get to experience it first hand, since our glasses weren’t effective,” Sarah Brent, Rogers teacher said. “I just wish they could have experienced it.”

About the Writer