The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

How to navigate the Common App

Bethany Arnold, Editor

The Common Application is exactly as described, a regularly used application by many colleges to get a general idea of the intelligence and integrity each student has. Although not every college is on the Common App, the majority of them are, making it important to know how to navigate the site easily.

After visiting the site, you must create a login. It is a good idea to create a brand new email used strictly for college. This way you aren’t getting your admissions emails and your magazine subscriptions mixed up, and you aren’t emailing your professor from “[email protected]mailz.com” that you made in sixth grade. After creating your account, it might ask you general questions like which year you plan on admitting as well as permissions for things such as emails from colleges.

Your dashboard will be the first page you see after making your account, which will welcome you to the site. One of the first things you should do upon creating your account is adding colleges. Click the “college search” tab to look for colleges you are interested in applying to. Adding a college does not mean you will necessarily will apply to it. Adding colleges to your list allows you to see any and all requirements other than that of the Common Application. This includes transcripts, test scores, and extra essays. These colleges can now be found under the tab “My Colleges”.

Now that you’re colleges are added, you can begin filling out the Common Application under the “Common App” tab. The information that will be filled out will be your general profile, your family information, education, testing scores, activities, and a personal essay. The personal is a very important part of the application process. To find out more about it, check out the feature “How to write a college admissions essay.” The information that you fill out on the Common App will be sent to every college that you apply to, along with the supplements that each individual college may require.

Another option on the Common App site is to explore the financial aid opportunities you might have. Under the tab labeled “Financial Aid Resources,” there is information on planning to save for college costs, applying for aid, and exploring scholarship opportunities.

It is crucial to know how to navigate and use the Common App to your advantage given most colleges require it. The Common App could potentially take a long time to complete, so earlier the better when starting it.