The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

5 ways to manage stress

Sandra Tobar, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that school, work, sports, volunteering, maintaining a social life, and getting a sufficient amount of sleep can all cause stress and anxiety. Many students juggle a number of these activities and are stressed to an unhealthy level.  To prevent or relieve teen stress, here are some helpful tips according to The American Psychology Association:

1. It’s no secret that school, work, sports, volunteering, maintaining a social life, and getting a sufficient amount of sleep can all cause stress and anxiety. Many students juggle a number of these activities and are stressed to an unhealthy level.  To prevent or relieve teen stress, here are some helpful tips according to The American Psychology Association:
    1. Get Moving- Being physically active is one of the best ways to relieve stress. Going for a run, doing some yoga, or any other activity you enjoy can loosen you up and get your mind off of what is stressing you.
    2. Find a Balance- If school work is the source of your stress, dedicate time to it, but still make time to relax or have fun. Focusing solely on homework can lead to more stress, so relieving some of it by hanging with friends or taking a nap, can reduce it.
    3. Talk to someone about it- Expressing your feelings of stress with a parent, friend, teacher, or counselor can help clear your mind. Parents or friends can help you by giving you advice or moral support.
    4. Find some Hobbies- Aside from being active, doing some of you favorite things can serve as therapeutic outlets. If you enjoy listening to music, drawing, or watching movies, doing these activities can help chip away at the stress you are experiencing.
    5. Eating Well- Healthy eating can make you feel more energized and strong enough to take on your stress. With more energy, you can complete the tasks that have be causing stress.

Mackenzie Yawn, grade 11, deals with teen stress in her own ways, and some of the suggested ways by the APA.

“I ask teachers for help on homework or clarification when I don’t understand, and I try to make time for the most stressful tasks,” Yawn said.

Juliana Shaw, grade 11, is stressed, but is persevering and developing good habits.

“I am stressed out a good amount. Junior year is definitely the hardest, but you basically sign up for stress. I just ask for help and keep in mind that senior year will be fun,” Shaw said.