Mountie Spectrum

Unoriginally original

Kinsey Langley, Editor

So far this year, 29 movies have been remade or rebooted and 14 more are on the way.  Some features are: “It”, “Ring”, “Beauty and the Beast,” “Flatliners” and “Jumanji.” All of these movies were originally made sometime in the past 30 years, but have been made this year with  “new” spins. Each movie is played with new characters and sometimes new plot lines, but it really isn’t all that revolutionary.

Sequels like “Cars 3,” “Incredibles 2” and “Finding Dory” are movies that have been long anticipated. Even though they are sequels, they show enough creative content to be original on their own. A sequel is a continuation or part two and a remake is to make (something) again or differently. Each movie has new actors/characters, and even though most would agree “the original was better,” but the ratings are higher and the part two’s are more raved about. “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” were both directed by John Lasseter, so the overall feeling was the same, but the plotline and story was completely different.

“It” is another story. The original movie came out in 1990 and the book in 1986. In the movie, the clown shows up every 27 years, so 2017 couldn’t have been a better year to produce this. The thing is, it was not a sequel. The movie is strikingly resembling to the 1990 film and not many things set it apart except the modern touch. “Beauty and The Beast” is another remake, but cartoon to real is what sets it apart. The special effects and determined actors make the original cartoon literally come alive. Many fans were upset about this movie, because nothing can replace the original Disney princesses.

Attention to these movies have been leaning more towards the bad side, and some have already started boycotting. New movies can have the same characters and story-type, but the plot line should follow a different path. Directors are realizing the mistakes they make as they go, and more people’s voices are getting heard.