The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

How to knock your zombie costume dead

Halloween is just around the corner and everyone is getting their costumes ready to go out and have fun. Here are some simple easy ways to take the creepy classic zombie to the next level. Here are some simple easy ways to take the zombie look to the maximum creepiness. The first thing to take it up a notch is what are called easy wounds. These are really easy to make are pretty cheap. What you will need are ; liquid latex (can be found at Walmart and Halloween stores and maybe a party place), flour, a container you don’t mind getting sticky, something to stir with,a clean flat surface, a hair dryer (optional) and something to color them with. Now to begin you take your bowl and pour liquid latex into it then add in little bits of flour and stir until you get a mixture that doesn’t run off the mixer. Once you are happy with the way the mixture is then you start putting the mixture on the clean surface in the shape you want your wound. Don’t worry if it looks like cat vomit at this point it’s totally normal. Once you are happy with the wounds take a little latex on your fingers and run it along the edges and out a little ways that way you have a way to attach it. Then comes the boring part which is letting it dry. So the two options are wait a day or two until it dries or speed it up with a hair dryer. Now is the fun part : coloring them. Do this however you want with whatever works for you. Try to keep the darker colors in the deepest parts for a more deep look and the lighter colors on the to. Once that’s done it’s time to attach it with more liquid latex. Dab some on the area where you want to stick it and on the prosthetic itself, wait a few seconds for it to become sticky then stick it on and go over the edges with more liquid latex until you are satisfied with how it looks on your skin. Then powder it to take away the shine and then paint your skin around the area to match your “wound”.

Another way to step up your undead look is to add some rotting flesh. The way to achieve this is with liquid latex, disposable sponges, something to hold the liquid latex, your fingers and whatever you want to color them with. So the first thing is to pour a little  latex into a bowl or whatever you are using and then take a sponge and dip the end in latex and then apply to where you want it. Be careful around areas with hair because if you’re not careful it could become a free waxing session. Once the first layer dries add a few more layers letting them dry in between and then take your fingers and just start to rub on the latex until a hole opens up then open it to as large as you want it. It helps in the look if you vary size and placement.  Then paint it and that’s it. Go out and enjoy scaring the heck out of people.