Mountie Spectrum

Global warming

Kynzee Favano, Staff Writer

The Earth is getting hotter, fast. Things that simply cannot be denied are happening, sea levels are rising, forest fires are roaring, ice is melting and animals are dying. And although 97% of scientists claim that global warming is a very real issue, some people still believe that climate change is fake.

Global warming occurs when carbon dioxide and other pollutants come together in the atmosphere and absorb sunlight that has bounced off of the Earth. The heat gets trapped and the only place it can go is back down to Earth. This is why in the last 50 years or so we have seen such an increase in air and water temperatures. Pollutants such as fossil fuels and coal-burning power plants are part of the cause of the dramatic change in climate recently.

In recent months, we have seen a huge rise in the number of natural disasters occurring,  such as hurricanes Harvey and Irma and the drought that California experienced for more than 5 years and is still recovering from. With the water temperatures rising at such a rapid rate, tropical storms such as hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones can pick up more energy than ever before, causing them to be more powerful. And the extended period with little to no precipitation causes an extreme dry spell. Entire regions can dry out and it can take decades for those regions to fully recover.

If we don’t do something about climate change, and quick, there will be more dramatic water shortages and increased risk of wildfires, especially  in western American states, sea levels will rise so much that it will cause coastal flooding in many areas in the world, entire ecosystems will be destroyed and animals will continue to go extinct, and outbreaks of infectious diseases such as Malaria will be much more common.

Global warming is real, and it is not going away, unless we, as human beings, start to give back to the Earth. A few ways to reduce the chances of global warming getting completely out of control before it’s too late are to:

• Drive fuel-efficient vehicles. If we can cut back on the amount of gasoline polluting the Earth then we will already be in better shape. Not to mention that gas is expensive and nobody wants to spend as much as we do on gas.
  • Saving water will also help tremendously with carbon pollution. Small things such as taking shorter showers, turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth etc. can reduce carbon pollution. It will cut down on your water bill as well.
  • Stop wasting food. Nearly 40% of the food made in the U.S ends up in landfills. By wasting less food, you’ll be reducing energy consumption.
  • Get the word out. Speak up. A lot of people aren’t even aware of the effect that global warming has on the Earth. If more people simply knew what they can do to help help save our environment, we would be less likely to be in the place we are in now with climate change.