The student news site of Rogers High School

Mountie Spectrum

Sex trafficking in the U.S. 2017

Bethany Arnold, Editor

Most have been exposed to, or unknowingly almost been apart of, the industry of human sex trafficking, whether it be the signs plastered with hotlines or lectures from those who have first hand experience. Sex trafficking is the engagement in any form of commercial sex act, both victims and perpetrators, to the acts of recruitment, enticement, or solicitation. These acts of trafficking do not only apply to adults, but many children as well. Children, not old enough to get their driver’s license, are tricked into the service. Either their friends take part in these services, or a pimp convinces them of all the riches they will receive with their help. Although this might seem a rather gross industry, the demand is extremely high, only enticing the continuation. Online predators contact every one out of seven children, and once in a three day period in 2017, 470 child sex traffickers were arrested. This industry will only continue to grow given that their consumer population will grow with them. These trafficking organizations supply crime groups, such as terrorists, with steady income. Summed up to a $150 billion industry, sex traffickers take in 100,000 new children a year. From boys to girls, to children to adults, this type of slavery continues through the forced service of sex.

Sex trafficking, an industry with a with a long history, has a lot of speculation as to why it has not been ended thus far or why its victims can not simply walk away. Sex is already a secluded subject to be spoken about, but when children are added to the equation, not one person will be found comfortable speaking about it, let alone speaking out. Due to the lack of open conversation, it becomes extremely difficult to reach out to victims of sex trafficking, especially under the present circumstances they are in. There are many reasons why sex trafficking is enslavement; there are many reasons that one cannot just walk away. Fear keeps many victims imprisoned as they are afraid of being beaten or even murdered for attempting to escape. Drug addiction is extremely common amongst victims of sex trafficking, requiring that they never leave their perpetrator in need of their next fix. Besides physical fear, victims are psychologically manipulated into believing only riches come out of these sexual services; they would not have a life outside of it . With an increasingly fast growing industry, no voice, and no hope, victims of sex trafficking become eternally enslaved with seemingly no way out.