Mountie Spectrum

A letter to the past

Back to Article
Back to Article

A letter to the past

Sara Martinez, Staff Writer

This is your future self writing to you about what you have to look forward to in the years ahead. I know you are feeling confused and like the world is flying around you right now, but trust me, you are going to figure it all out. I know you are worrying about where you will end up, what will happen, and how you will get there. I want to tell you to have faith in yourself. Do not spend so much of your time filled with worry and more time enjoying yourself.

I just wanted to give you a heads up: you’re about to make mistakes, a lot of them. Don’t regret making them, because they will shape who you become in a few years. Those mistakes will bring you a pain you can’t even imagine right now. Just hang in there though; the pain will be over and you’ll become a better person because of it. I could tell you what those mistakes are so that you can avoid them, but I kind of like who I’ve become because of them. I could save you a great deal of suffering in the coming years, but I believe that, that pain is something you need to go through.

I’ve been afraid of my emotions all my life, and I still am. I don’t want that from you. Don’t be afraid to feel. Love, joy, fear, anger; feel them all. Without emotions you’re an empty shell. I know you. You’ve been afraid of people your whole life. Admit it. Well, as your future self I can tell you that you’re justified in being afraid of other people. They will hurt you. They will break your trust. They will stab you in the heart. But what is life without other people?  A life spent alone is a life not worth living. We need others to survive. We need to feel connected to others in order to have meaning in our lives, and meaning is something that I want you to have.

You have some amazing friends in your life and they are such a positive people to keep around you. Along with these friends, you will also run into a few people that do nothing but bring you down. When you begin to realize that someone is not adding anything positive to your life, cut them out. This might be difficult but it is will prevent a lot of problems and pain in the future. The same goes for romantic relationships. You may find yourself in a relationship that is not healthy for either party. Be brave enough to end something that needs to end. Stand up for yourself and protect your heart the best you can.

I want you to believe in yourself. You have a habit of doubting your own abilities and letting small things like one bad test grade get you incredibly down. You do not need to do this to yourself. You are smart, driven, and kind; don’t forget that. You have so many passions and the ability to do everything you desire. I know it can be hard to see that at times, especially when things just don’t seem to be going your way, but I want you to try your best to stay positive. Enjoy the time you spend with others because it won’t last.