Mountie Spectrum

The Butterfly Effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect#/media/File:Lorenz_attractor_yb.svg

Kynzee Favano

‘One thing leads to another’. We’ve all heard this saying, but what does it really mean? The Butterfly Effect has to do with the theory that small causes can have larger effects. In other words, little, seemingly unimportant occurrences can have large, dramatic repercussions. The man who came up with the idea of the butterfly effect was a mathematician and meteorologist named Edward Lorenz. He originally came up with the theory to explain why predicting weather was so difficult, but it ended up becoming a much bigger phenomenon.

The name “butterfly effect” is derived from two things. The first is based on a picture (featured above) of a graph made from an equation that was invented by Edward Lorenz. The graph actually looks like butterfly wings but it’s based on the idea that something as simple as the flap of a butterfly’s wing could cause turbulence in an airplane which could cause said airplane to crash which could end up killing the future president or destroying important structures or buildings. Thus, causing the world to take an alternate path than it would have if the wings were never flapped. This is the second place that the name ‘butterfly effect’ comes from.

Every human being makes millions of decisions each day that determine the direction that their life goes in. Keeping this in mind, we can think of endless amounts of decisions that we did, or didn’t make, which are the reason life has turned out the way it has for us. There are some minor details that have completely derailed not only in one individual’s life, but the life of millions. For example, it’s common knowledge that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand is what ultimately caused the start of WW1. But what is not well known is the events leading up to the actual assassination of the Archduke and his wife. Earlier that day, a man threw an explosive at the car of the Archduke, but the bomb bounced off and rolled underneath another vehicle allowing Franz Ferdinand to get away unharmed. However, later that afternoon he insisted on going back to check on the ones who were injured by the explosion. But, his driver accidentally made a wrong turn onto a street where the Archduke and his wife were shot and killed.

If all of these events didn’t happen in the specific order and way that it did, WW1 may never have happened, and if WW1 never happened, neither would have WW2. Conclusively, one wrong turn ended up resulting in the death of almost 80 million people.

The idea of the theory is that when a person makes a decision, they impact the life of everyone in the world. In the grand scheme of things, one person’s decision affects another person’s decision and each and every person has complete and total control over so many other people’s lives. Therefore, the saying goes, one thing leads to another.