Mountie Spectrum

Stand up and walk out

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stand up and walk out

Ana Viveros, Staff Writer

Students around the world have been speaking their thoughts on the safety of their schools in the past weeks. Students are finally standing up and protesting. These upcoming months students will have walkouts to protest the ways schools are no longer safe, and represent the lost lives of students.

Three walkouts have been planed so far. One march that is near will be on March 14, 2018, hosted by ‘The Women’s March’s Youth EMPOWER group’ having students, teachers, and administrators stand up at 10:00 am and walkout of the school for 17 minutes to honor the victims who lost their lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.  This will be the first walkout that will be held this year.

This specific walkout has been dealing with some problems with administration. In some places around the United States administrators have been warning students that participating in these walkout can lead to suspension or other punishments.  

A march in Washington D.C to speak out about school safety and gun control will be held on March 24, 2018, called ‘March For Our Lives’.

The final march will be the ‘National High School Walkout’ hosted by the Connecticut student Lane Murdock and others on April 20, 2018, the anniversary of the Columbine shooting. High school students will walk out of school for a period of time until Congress has changed laws involving gun control or helping schools have better safety.

During these walkouts schools can start punishing students. Some schools do not tolerate these types of behaviors since they ‘disrupt’ the education system.

The walkouts are to try and make the government listen to students, and how they feel the need to be safe. Walkouts and other peaceful ways to raise awareness and cause some kind of change, which will hopefully prevent anymore harmful acts.