Mountie Spectrum

Wrestlers win at state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrestlers win at state

Ingrid Betancourt, Staff Writer

The varsity wrestling team traveled to Little Rock on Feb. 16 and 17 to compete in the state tournament. Our Mounties placed 6th overall at state. The team came out with victories all throughout  the weight divisions. Jake Turner, 11, won the state championship in his division, 145 lbs, Mykha Hunter, 11, won State-Runner-Up, 126 lbs, Carson Smith, 12, placed 3rd, 182 lbs, Nathan Hahn, 10,  placed 3rd,170 lbs, and Jacob Mounce, 11,  placed 6th, 195 lbs.

The team had a greater success than they did last year, when only 4 wrestlers placed. Many of the wrestlers came back this season, which is one of the many reasons the team had such a great success.

I believe that we have improved since last year. I think it came down to us having a good majority of the people from last year’s team come back. We have a lot of experienced guys, more than they did last year, helping us out to become an overall better team,” said Alex Perea, 11.

Although Perea didn’t place at state this year he does hold himself to a goal of placing in his weight for state next year. His coaches, Kenn Simmons and Marshall Hahn, had some advice to give the team to prepare and get ready for next year, telling them to set up their own goals and criticizing themselves.

I also believe that working on my technique in the practice room will benefit me greatly, as it would with any other wrestler,” said Perea. He hopes that by next year at state he meets his goal and wins medals for his division.

While the team may be strong, they could always become  stronger and better, because they need more wrestlers spread out, throughout all of the weight classes. Perea gives a word of advice to incoming wrestlers.

Practices will be hard and you might not pick it up right away but it’s a great sport that helps build upon your character and a great place to meet new people and be a part of a family.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Wrestlers win at state”

1. Timothy Hicks on February 28th, 2018 10:28 am

What a great Wrestling we have here at Rogers High School! I’m really proud of these young men who have worked so hard of getting this far! Go Mounties!! #it’sagreatdaytobeamountie

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sports

Road to the Super Bowl

• Sports

Hogs Remain Hopeful

• Sports

Wrestling Pins State

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

Football season is a go

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

Major Problems in NCAA

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

NFL Draft time

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

Track takes state by storm

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

Super Bowl LII

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

National Championship aftermath

• Wrestlers win at state

Sports

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson swoops in for the win

The student news site of Rogers High School
Wrestlers win at state