Students are rising up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students are rising up

Rachell Smith

Rising tensions in schools across America are leading to the movement of the students.  Marches and protests are happening all over the nation against gun violence. One of the key organizations in the movement is the March For Our Lives, the group that has sparked over 450 marches across the country.

Even in the small region of Northwest Arkansas, politically active students, teachers, and adults have gone out in search of reform. Marches, speeches, and personal accounts have filled cities to advocate for sensible gun control. The main leader of this movement is the students. Students from Bentonville and Rogers schools joined hand in hand at the Bentonville square to open the eyes of the public to this pressing issue.

The few high schoolers who organized the march in Downtown Bentonville sought to honor the victims of gun violence and provide aid for change in their communities. They held moments of silence for the victims, had speakers give accounts of their own struggles, and focused on having eligible voters registered for the upcoming elections in Arkansas.

Whether or not the representatives of Arkansas will listen to their citizens cries for change, these students have still made an impact on the political involvement of the upcoming youth. By 2020, the biggest eligible voter group will be generation Z (those born in 1995-2014) and currently, the biggest eligible group is the millennials (born from 1982-1995). This signifies that voter demographics will change significantly, possibly changing the outcomes of elections in the future. Thus, making a difference in which regulations and reforms are being passed in the government.
The students of the community will continue to fight for their safety in lives at school until they obtain it.  They have branded that these marches have only marked the beginning of the movement.