Mountie Spectrum

Students walkout for Parkland

Rachell Smith

Similarly to the rest of the nation, RHS participated in a walkout on March 14th.The intention of the event was to honor the victims of the tragic school shooting in Parkland, Florida. But this was the first step for an even bigger movement within many schools.

Classmates sit together in reverence during the moment of silence

Students bow their heads and pray to honor the victims at parkland.

People stand in all corners of the courtyard. Some on the balconies, grass, or in the courtyard itself.

The enormous amount of students that joined the walkout served as a statement to administration. By, saying that a great number of students actually care about their wellbeing.

Students of all age, grade, and classes unite for the pressing issue of school safety.

About the Writer
1 Comment

One Response to “Students walkout for Parkland”

1. John Jiler on December 11th, 2018 5:08 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’ve reached out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses; others simply turn a blind eye to the potential for gun violence in their state. Our mission has been to make these places known to high school seniors. We’re encouraging them NOT to apply to college in…
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    Sadly, your state is on this list. You’re no doubt very proud of the place you live, and you should be. But the gun violence epidemic in this country has taken too many lives, and things must change. You can be part of that change, by encouraging your elected officials and your families and your friends to think about some serious questions. Should teenagers be able to order AR-15s through the mail? Should people with a history of mental illness be allowed easy access to guns? If you feel the answer to these questions is “no,” we all have a lot of work to do!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. Good luck with your own decision about college, and have a safe and prosperous senior year!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

First home game of the season

• Photo Story

The land of music-Nashville, TN

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Dickson Street

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Decor-a-door participants

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Outdoor ed float trip

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Finding funk at the junk ranch

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Discovering Downtown Rogers

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

The RHS Yearbook float in the making

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Razorback fashion show at Steinmart

• Students walkout for Parkland

Photo Story

Frisco Fest

The student news site of Rogers High School
Students walkout for Parkland