Mountie Spectrum

Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Ariana Grande and Pastor Charles H. Ellis III at Aretha Franklin's funeral.

Livier Arellano

Women, men, and children. Any form of sexual harassment is unacceptable. Agree or disagree?

Sexual harassment is not new, but this recently has been a heated argument and debate all over social media. This all started when the viral video of Pastor Charles H. Ellis III “groped” American singer, Ariana Grande. It took place at Aretha Franklin’s funeral in the Great Grace Temple.

“It would never be my intention to touch any woman’s breast,” Ellis said.

It could be debated that it was because of the way Grande was dressed. She could have caused the “temptation”.  

Women are constantly being demanded to cover up more because men aren’t able to control themselves. Not only does this affect women in the outside world, but it goes far back into affecting young girls in schools. Girls are told to dress up a certain way, don’t wear this or that because the shoulders are very distracting for the boys. “Oh I see your belly button! Cover up.”  Sorry for being human I guess. It is quite aggravating to see a long list of things girls can’t wear in the student handbook vs what the guys can’t wear. Sometimes it feels like it should be called “dress code for girls only” because that is what it feels like. Does this sound familiar? “Girls listen up, guys you don’t have too.”

In this case, it didn’t have to do anything with how the women was dressed. The media is literally on fire and targeting Ellis for being the “pervert”.. So if one were to watch the video, Ellis is seen touching Grande on the side of her boob. Okay, but she doesn’t seem uncomfortable? If Grande felt violated in any way, she would have spoken up. Grande is known to lash back at haters and express opinionated thoughts. If she were to feel in any way harassed, she should have spoken up. Due to the heat of social media attacking Ellis he has to apologize for something he didn’t mean to do attentionally, touch a woman.

“Maybe I crossed the border.” Ellis said.

Usually in a religious environment, it is common for one to get close and comfort another. Whether that be in a form of sorrow or welcoming. Which, Pastor Ellis, seemed to be doing.

If the people at the funeral were to see that “harassment” surely someone would have done something at that moment. If Grande was harassed she would have pressed charges on Ellis by now. Based on some junior students in Rogers High School, two anonymous girls (Juniors) told me “it would take time” to report a rape or a groping. Due to “not being taken seriously.” With something that might seem so “minor” as being groped. While an anonymous guy (Junior) said, “I wouldn’t need to fear anything” stating because “the authorities would step in.” Although a different opinion was made by a guy  (junior)

“ Here is what I think…being groped is normal to me naturally. Because when we are at school we accidentally bump into people and if someone accidently touched you uncomfortable then it wasn’t intended we can say sorry or my bad. Wouldn’t report it. But if it was rape I would report it because it was intended to be harmful to you. Making you do something against your will. So I would report rape and not the groping.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Sexual harassment in mainstream media”

1. Alan Romero on September 12th, 2018 8:46 am

Ariana Grande was being touched. As you can see in her face, she is very uncomfortable but was too shocked to even say anything. Ariana has not yet spoken out loud about the incident BUT as a true fan I know she is not comfortable with this.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Get your driving straight

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Climate Change

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Fine arts is forgotten in the shadow of sports

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Creating a better plan to save lives

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Smartphones could be a cause of depression

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Roy Moore, Sexual Misconduct, Discrimination, and other lovely things

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

A Fun Experience in The Walton Art Center

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Twitter is our president

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

A letter to the past

• Sexual harassment in mainstream media

Opinion

Global warming

The student news site of Rogers High School
Sexual harassment in mainstream media