Mountie Spectrum

St. Joesph’s Catholic Orphanage

Back to Article
Back to Article

St. Joesph’s Catholic Orphanage

Eerie rooms the orphans had to sleep in.

Brittany Williams

Buzzfeed News has released a new case on the Nuns and Orphan children of St. Joseph’s Catholic Orphanage in Burlington, Vermont. The orphanage was open from 1930 to 1970, so why are they talking about it now? Victims are gaining courage and opening up to share their gruesome experience living there.
There have been many victims coming forward including Sally Dale who was in the orphanage from ages two to twenty-three. While living there Dale witnessed many incidents that still haunt her to this day.
“He kinda hit, and… well, I guess you could call it a bounce and laid still,” Dale said. She speaks under oath while explaining how she saw a boy fall from the top story of the orphanage with one of the nuns standing behind him with her arms straightened out in front of her. Dale was standing in the courtyard with another nun when this accident happened. This was not unusual for the orphanage as in nuns would hold a child’s ankles through a cracked window while they cleaned the outside of it. The nun told Sally she just had a vivid imagination.
“They were forced to eat their own vomit. They were dangled upside down out windows, over wells, or in laundry chutes. Children were locked in cabinets, closets, in attics, sometimes for days sometimes so long they were forgotten,” Dale said. The more she talked about her upbringing the more revolting memories she would think of.
Joseph Barquin is another survivor of the dark secrets that went on at St. Joseph’s Orphanage. Barquin contacted Lawyer Phillip White to share his story. Recently married, Barquins wife noticed scars on and around his genital area. He told her that in the early 1950s when he was a young boy at an orphanage in Burlington, Vermont that he was touched by one of the nuns and cut down there. He doesn’t remember what he was cut with he just knows that there was a lot of blood. He also saw other children beaten and shocked in an electrical chair type setup. White accepted this case and put together a support group to find more survivors. “Soon a support group called the Survivors of St. Joseph’s Orphanage and Friends formed. Participants said it grew to 80 members,” Buzzfeed said.
With many more people and parts to this horrific history, you can read more stories of victims on:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs.