Mountie Spectrum

The destruction of Hurricane Florence

The hit of Hurricane Florence: Hurricane Florence hitting the east Coast with 140 mph winds, and more than 20 inches of rain. It has been causing a lot of destruction to the East Coast making it one of the worst Hurricanes to hit the East Coast in 29 years. Photo by Pixar

Karis Smith

Hurricane Florence has been the deadliest hurricane since Hurricane Harvey hit Texas. The hurricane has affected the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia and Maryland.

Hurricane Florence went up as high as a category 4. Over the weekend the hurricane has gone down to a category 2 and became a tropical storm in some areas and others a category one hurricane. The  East Coast including the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia and Maryland, and North and South Carolina have been hit the hardest. So far, 10 people were killed in North Carolina, and six in South Carolina. The water level has risen up to 13 feet, causing 1,300 flights among the East Coast to cancel.

Over the weekend, Charlotte, NC is the city that has been hit the hardest. Most of the residents in the area have evacuated inland to find shelter. Millions of people have been ordered to evacuate their homes because power was lost or destroyed by flooding. Now in North Carolina, the storm has gone up to 40 inches of rain, and people are urged to stay indoors.

In Neuse River, the water levels have risen 5 feet above the normal level. Authorities have said to not go outdoors because the storm surge can kill anyone. Most of the streets have been flooded leaving residents to stay in their homes.  So far the hurricane has caused 17-22 billion dollars in damages. Hotel rooms have gone up to $1,700 for people to seek shelter causing people to not be able to afford a room.

With a minute of one’s time, it is easy to donate one dollar or more to the American Red Cross to help the victims affected by Hurricane Florence.

About the Writer