PRESIDENTIAL OPINIONS

Two student representatives from both the Democratic and Republican parties compare their views

PRESIDENTIAL+OPINIONS

What is your stance on abortion?

Student A: I’m pro-choice, which means I support the idea that abortion should be legal and easily available for those who make that decision; I don’t support the government creating regulations about my body. Although I don’t think I would get an abortion, I believe that every individual knows their own body best and should be able to make that decision.

Student B: I’m pro-life, meaning I’m against abortion. I believe everyone has the individual right to live, including unborn babies. They are just as human and alive as the rest of us. I also oppose Roe V. Wade because it created an absolute right to abortion for which any abortion can be justified.

Should immigrants have to pass the citizenship test?

Student A: The pathway to citizenship is a difficult process in itself, and adding a citizenship test, as we know it now, to that lengthy process is unnecessary. Questions should be asked to show a basic understanding about our country; however, there is no need for new citizens to know information about the U.S. that most natural born citizens don’t even know themselves.

Student B: I believe everyone should have to pass some sort of test or background check before becoming a citizen. The background checks would help improve U.S. security by allowing only the law-abiding people into the U.S.

Do you support the second amendment?

Student A: I believe that the second amendment is outdated. It was created when many of the weapons we have access to today were not even invented yet, and the lack of regulation in the U.S. makes weapons very accessible and puts many at risk. Many countries have been successful in lowering crime rates after heavily regulating weapons. The problem is not the solution, and instead of trying to feel protected by being able to fire back, we need to move towards eliminating the problem altogether.

Student B: I passionately support the right to bear arms. The second amendment is an individual right, and it is as essential as the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion. Abolishing the second amendment would infringe upon the right to self defense.

Should we defund the police?

Student A: In the U.S., we spend billions of dollars on funding law enforcement. I believe redistributing those budgets directly into other investments, such as education and healthcare in poor communities, would be more beneficial in creating safe and thriving communities. Additionally, police in the U.S. do not have the capacity to handle all of the various duties that they are given and we should redistribute the responsibility of handling different types of emergencies.

Student B: We should not defund the police. They are there to protect and serve our communities. Instead of defunding, we should devote more funding into training future officers.

Should the U.S. raise taxes on the rich?

Student A: Yes, there is no need for people to have an unfathomable amount of money that cannot be used up in a lifetime when we could be helping financially struggling communities, especially when many have only acquired wealth by corruption.

Student B: No, we should not raise taxes on the rich. It would punish those who have worked hard and have invested well. We should make taxes simple and fair.

Do you support the legalization of same-sex marriage?

Student A: Yes, I support same sex marriage. I believe that everyone should be able to love who they want, regardless of gender identities, and should be able to do so without having to endure negative criticism from others. I also support equality for the entire the LGBTQ+ community.

Student B: I do support same sex marriage. I believe people should have the right to be with who they want to be with. The LGBTQ community should be protected from violence and oppression.

Should teachers be allowed to carry guns on school property?

Student A: Allowing teachers to carry guns would not be beneficial, nor is it necessary. I believe that the introduction of weapons in learning environments would bring a number of security, anxiety, and responsibility and liability issues into play.

Student B: I believe teachers with conceal and carry licenses, proper training, and thorough background checks should be allowed to carry guns on school property. This would lower the risk of a mass school shooting and could help students feel more secure at school.

Should the government increase environmental regulations to prevent climate change?

Student A: I believe that more environmental regulations should be put into place. Everyone is affected by the environment, and therefore we should work to reduce gas emissions and invest more in sustainable energy.

Student B: I believe climate change is more of a moral issue rather than a political one. I think we need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but I don’t oppose burning fossil fuels from electricity, heat, and transportation.

Should employers be required to pay men and women the same salary for the same job?

Student A: I believe that there should be equal salaries for doing the same job. We should work towards getting rid of the gender pay gap, as well as putting more women in male-dominated occupations.

Student B: I believe men and women should be paid the same for the same job, but I don’t believe that there is a gender pay gap. Instead, I think we should be focusing on creating more jobs for women.